Invokana is a SGLT2 inhibitor which was approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes. The drugs are prescribed to adults to help them lower the blood glucose levels in diabetic patients. It works by preventing the absorption of sugar by the kidneys and get them pass through urine. It is an oral diabetic medicine and is the generic name of the drug is canagliflozin.
However, this popular diabetic medication has been reported of some serious life-threatening complications. Patients who have suffered from the injuries of the drug filed for invokana settlements.
Some serious health risks associated with the drug include but not limited to the follwoing:
- Ketoacidosis – it is a condition where there is excess ketones and acid in the bloodstream and should be taken to immediate medical attention. Frequent urination (polyuria), slow or deep breathing, confusion, frequent unconsciousness, loss of appetites are some of the common symptoms of Ketoacidosis.
- Invokana can cause the potassium level in the bloodstream to increase resulting in a condition medically termed as hyperkalemia.
- Invokana can cause potentially fatal arrhythmias of the heart
- Patients can also suffer from hypotension which is caused by the blood pressure falling below the normal rate. It is accompanied by heart disease, dehydration, bleeding, adrenal insufficiency, infections and other non-neurologic conditions.
What are the main reasons for the allegations?
The victims can pursue invokana settlements in the U.S. courts if they have been wrongly affected by the drug. In the court filings, the attorneys argue that:
- Invokana is a unreasonably dangerous drug with inherently defective composition
- The drug makers failed to do proper clinical research about the medication
- Johnson & Johnson was careless in the manufacturing of the drug and imparted a huge risk on the public health
- They knowingly did not inform the physicians and the patients about the potential side effects of the medicine
- Johnson & Johnson concealed the facts of the harmful side effects and wrongly promoted about the safety of the medication
If you or someone you love has been injured by the complications of the drug, get in touch with the team of Invokanasideeffects.us. They will help you determine whether your case is eligible for financial compensation.