Invokana is a commonly prescribed oral diabetes medicine which is available as an over-the-counter drug and is used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus. Although it was declared a safe drug by FDA, the medication has been associated with some serious side effects, many of which can lead to life threatening consequences.
This widely known diabetes drug was reported to injure hundreds of patients who filed demanding for invokana settlements. Some of the common health issues reported includes:
- lower limb amputation
- increased low-density lipoprotein
- bone fracture
- impairment of renal function
- acute kidney injury
What are the main accusations against the drug makers?
Pharmaceutical giants such as Invokamet and Jardiance have been named in the invokana settlements cases. The highlights of the lawsuit include the following points:
- The drug is defective and unreasonably dangerous
- Johnson & Johnson’s marketing misrepresented the effectiveness and safety of Invokana
- The company withhold the drug’s dangers from the FDA, physicians and the public
- Did not clearly mention about the health risks linked with the drug
- Failed to conduct proper clinical research and safety trials
- Janssen has been neglectful about the quality of invokana
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: Patients can have a situation termed as Ketoacidosis where the blood has high level of ketones in the bloodstream. Undiagnosed condition of Ketoacidosis can become very serious with dehydration, brain swelling, coma or even death.
- Renal complications: the FDA revealed in 2016 how patients taking Invokana are at a higher risk of kidney complications which can lead up to the need of emergency hospitalization and dialysis. As understood, it can cause fatal situations as well. There have been reports which ended up in dialysis.
- Lower Body Amputation: Poor circulation, peripheral arterial disease and nerve damage roots to serious foot problems in patients taking Invokana. A study by the FDA found that patients under this medication are exposed to double the risk of leg and foot amputations than those who took other medications.
If your loved one suffered from the complications of Invokana, get in touch with the expert team of invokanasideeffects.us. They will help you get a free and confidential legal consultation and help you determine if the case is eligible for financial compensation.